Sacramento PPP and EIDL Loan Fraud Lawyers
Defending Your Rights During DOJ Investigations on PPP Loan Fraud
When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, the PPP came into existence to aid struggling businesses. It provided loans to companies to help them pay their employees and survive an economic downturn. However, fraudulent activities soon joined in. Some individuals and businesses that weren’t eligible for emergency loans received funds o PPP, while others used funds not authorized for business or personal expenses. The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) had to launch a large-scale investigation into PPP loan fraud due to these actions.
If you are among the recipients of PPP loans or part of the program in any capacity and facing a DOJ investigation regarding PPP loan fraud charges, it is imperative to know how to defend yourself against criminal charges.
The DOJ Is Highly Committed To Prosecute PPP Loan Fraud
As fraudulent applications for PPP loans continue to surge in number, the DOJ’s aggressive standpoint on prosecuting all people and organizations linked to violations related to fraud increases too. They have shown no mercy with bringing up charges against suspects who took part in making fraudulent loans or who messed around with documents related to PPP-related cases when it comes using those funds for personal gains amid such crises.
Several Cases Have Been Filed By The DOJ
There is no real theory behind such filings as dozens of cases have been filed like these where individuals would make fake applications for a PPI loan or others who use such loans’ funds for personal use also face federal criminal charges, emphasizing compliance with mandatory steps while applying for PPI.
DOJ Is Collaborating with Other Federal Law Enforcement Agencies
For much effective protection from various frauds dealing with PPP loan transactions, DOJ collaborates with utmost care along with other agencies like SBA-OIG referred Office of Inspector General, FDIC-OIG, referred Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and FBI-Investigations (IRS-CI). Therefore unity shall help Increase a higher possibility towards identifying fraudulent games related to PPP loans and bringing the criminals to justice.
Protecting Your Rights Against PPP Loan Fraud Allegations
Investigations launched by DOJ regarding PPP loan fraud have a far-reaching impact and pose severe situations like criminal charges with hefty penalties, which can lead to incarceration, especially for the personnel involved. Organizations face huge fines. Still, one must know there are common defenses that an individual or organization facing allegations of PPP loan fraud may rely on. A few options are:
1. Compliance with Paycheck Protection Program: Prove you meet all the specified requirements of the PPP loans. Make sure you can show evidence of obtaining such loans under legal means or maintaining accounts related to PPP accurately with financial records and expenses documented is an excellent place to start developing your defense.
2. Lack of Intentions involved in Defraudation: Some prosecutors might not prove intent in trying, accused individuals when they received such loans unknowingly or provided wrong information due to unintended errors.
Possible Charges Against Cases of PPP Loan Fraud
PPP loan fraud falls under pre-existing federal statutes; therefore DOJ can prosecute entities making use of these statutes. Check Out a few possible charges that may be filed against those individuals investigated In the case Of Following PPP:
1. Making False Statements: Providing false statements specifically for influencing decisions taken by the Small Business Administration leading towards criminal charges deemed an act of serious crime committed through 18 U.S.C. § 1014 also known and punishable as PPI fraudulent activity.
2. Making False Statements To An FDIC-Insured Institution: Overstepping on submitting False Information to lend the PPI LOAN Insured By Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation is Punishable Under 18 U.S.C § 1014.
3. Bank Fraud: It is defined in statute 18 U.S.C § 1344 presenting false/ fake papers carrying intentions meant for banking institutes defrauding them at large.
4.Wire Fraud: Punishing the use of the internet through 18 U.S.C § 1343, any device or communication reason being fraudulent and leading towards gaining remunerations or concrete properties shall be dealt with strictly in cases toward PPP Loan Fraud.
5.Aggravated Identity Theft: Prosecutable under statute 18 U.S.C. § 1028, this kind of identity theft is specifically related to applicable coverup within felonies like bank and wire fraud at large.
6.Tax Evasion: People who tend to claim illegal deductions for payroll expenses regarding PPI loans or other income derived from PPI loans were not considered when filing tax returns can be charged under 26 U.S code section 7201.
7.False Claims Act Violations: The ones involving common type of fraud that targets federal government programs so carried out by individuals or companies in specific face criminal along with civil penalties.
DOJ investigation regarding a PPP Loan Fraud subject might just become very challenging for personnel involved in such topics or organizations. For those facing PPP loan-related fraud allegations, it’s highly advisable always to consult well-experienced attorneys standing strong on your side. At Spodek Law Group, We understand such situations occur more frequently than ever before; hence legal guidance and support are what we offer with immense care and professionalism towards all our clients, making us a reliable option available.
NEW JERSEY CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEYS