WoodbridgeAssault & Threat Crimes
Woodbridge Assault & Threat Crimes
Being charged with an assault or threat crime in Woodbridge, New Jersey can have serious legal consequences. These offenses cover a wide range of violent behaviors like stalking, harassment, terroristic threats, and robbery.
The penalties you face depend on whether the charge is a disorderly persons offense handled in municipal court or an indictable offense handled in superior court. Disorderly charges can lead to up to 6 months in jail while indictable charges can result in years in state prison.
Common Assault & Threat Charges in Woodbridge
- Simple Assault – Knowingly or recklessly causing bodily injury
- Aggravated Assault – Attempting to cause or causing serious bodily injury purposely or knowingly
- Assault on a Police Officer
- Harassment – Engaging in alarming conduct to frighten or annoy someone
- Terroristic Threats – Threatening to commit a violent crime to terrorize someone or cause evacuation of a building
- Lewdness – Exposing or touching intimate parts for sexual gratification
- Robbery – Using force or threats while committing a theft
You can read more details on common assault and threat crimes in Woodbridge here.
Where Assault Cases Are Heard in Woodbridge
If you are facing an assault charge in Woodbridge, the court where your case is heard depends on the severity of the offense:
- Woodbridge Municipal Court – Handles disorderly persons offenses punishable by up to 6 months in jail
- Middlesex County Superior Court – Handles indictable 3rd, 2nd, 1st degree offenses with longer state prison sentences
So a simple assault charge would be heard in municipal court, while an aggravated assault charge would go to superior court.
Possible Defenses for Assault Charges
Some possible legal defenses you can raise against assault charges in Woodbridge include:
- Self-Defense – You used reasonable force to protect yourself from harm
- Misidentification – You were mistakenly identified as the perpetrator
- False Accusations – The alleged victim is lying about what happened
- Lack of Intent – You did not purposely or knowingly commit the act
An experienced criminal defense attorney can evaluate the facts of your case and build the strongest defense to fight the charges.
Penalties for Assault Convictions in Woodbridge
If you are convicted on an assault or threat charge, possible penalties include:
- Jail time
- Fines up to $10,000
- Permanent criminal record
- Loss of civil rights like voting and gun ownership
The exact penalty depends on the severity of the offense and your criminal history. But any assault conviction can negatively impact your life for years to come.
Finding the Right Woodbridge Assault Lawyer
If you or a loved one is facing an assault or threat charge in Woodbridge, it is critical to have an experienced criminal defense lawyer on your side. Some tips for choosing the right attorney include:
- Find a lawyer with extensive experience handling assault cases in Woodbridge courts
- Choose a lawyer you feel comfortable talking to openly and honestly about what happened
- Ask about the lawyer’s track record getting charges reduced or dismissed
- Find someone who clearly explains your legal options and defense strategy
With so much at stake, take the time to research assault lawyers thoroughly before deciding who to entrust with your defense.
Getting Legal Advice About Your Assault Case
Every assault case involves unique circumstances, so it is important to get legal advice tailored to your situation. A lawyer can analyze the details of your case and provide guidance on:
- Any possible defenses based on the facts
- Negotiating with prosecutors for reduced charges or dismissal
- Navigating the pre-trial intervention program if eligible
- Avoiding the immigration consequences of a conviction if you are not a U.S. citizen
Don’t go through this alone. Schedule a free consultation with an assault lawyer to discuss your best legal options.
Assault Laws and Penalties in Woodbridge
Here is a quick overview of New Jersey’s laws and penalties related to common assault and threat charges in Woodbridge:
You can read the full statutes on assault and threat crimes in Woodbridge here.
Finding an Assault Lawyer in Woodbridge
Facing assault charges in Woodbridge can be scary and overwhelming. But a knowledgeable criminal defense lawyer can help guide you through the process and build the strongest case for dismissal or acquittal.
Take the time to thoroughly research lawyers with proven experience handling assault cases in your area. Schedule free consultations with a few top choices before deciding who to hire.
With an aggressive assault lawyer on your side, you can rest easier knowing your rights are protected as your case moves forward.